Que. 1 What is Activated Carbon?
Activated carbon is a crude form of graphite having a very high porous structure and high surface area.
Que. 2 How is Activated Carbon generally produced?
Any material having high carbon content can be activated. For eg; coconut shell, coal wood, nut kernels etc.
Que. 3 What are the agents generally used for Activation Process?
Steam, carbon dioxide or Chemicals are normally used as agents for activation process.
Que. 4 What is the best Raw Material for manufacture of high grade Activated Carbon?
Coconut shell charcoal based Activated carbon is the universally accepted best Activated Carbon.
Que. 5 Which manufacturing method is environmental friendly and pollution free process?
Steam Activated Carbon is the most economical and environmental friendly process.
Que. 6 Why is Coconut shell charcoal based steam Activated Carbon considered the best carbon?
Very high hardness, Microporosity, high Density, high Surface area, low ash content and possibility of regeneration of spend carbon makes coconut shell charcoal based Activated Carbon the most preferred Activated Carbon.
Que. 7 Why is steam Activated Carbon considered eco friendly and pollution free?
The manufacturing process of steam Activated Carbon is a zero effluent discharge process with no addition of solid or liquid chemicals.
Que. 8 How does Activated Carbon function as a purifying agent in treatment of Air and Water?
The highly porous structure of Activated Carbon facilitates removal of impurities in the medium.
Que. 9 What is the major distinguishing character of shell charcoal activated Carbon when compared to other adsorbents?
The phenomena of adsorption of impurities by Activated Carbon is reversible and thus the removed impurities can be isolated and separated without causing any chemical reaction.
Que. 10 List out some General applications where Activated Carbon is used?
- Potable and effluent water treatment
- Sewage water treatment
- Swimming pools
- Brewery and soft drinks
- Decolourisation of sugar and sweeteners
- Purification of vegetable oil and fats
- Decaffeination of coffee
- Manufacture of Tablets and Capsules for gastro-intestinal conditions
- Blood purification and cleaning
- Removal of organic impurities
- Dechlorination process
- In manufacture of Antibiotics, Vitamins and Steroids
- Removal of H2S,SO2, N2O,and other poisonous gases.
In compressed air purification
- Cigarette, filters, gas separation
- Gas line vapour recovery in gas filling installations
- Film and Photographic industry
- Air conditioning systems
- Mercury vapour adsorption
- Gas masks
- Nuclear application
- Control of Exhaust emission from vehicles
- Process gas purification